The Other Side of Showdown

 

On August 8, I participated in the 10th National Showdown Cup Tournament with my volunteer group. It was already my fifth time participating in a Showdown tournament, but the moment I stepped into the competition room, I felt like I was playing the sport for the first time.

I was nervous. Even though I had played Showdown before, competing in an actual tournament felt completely different. I could feel myself overthinking every move, and at first, I was much more anxious than I expected. But as the games went on, I slowly became more comfortable. I started to trust myself more, and with every hit, I could feel my confidence and energy building.

What made this experience especially meaningful was being on the other side of the game. Last time, I participated in Showdown as a volunteer, helping and overseeing visually impaired athletes as they compete. This time, however, I was the one holding the paddle and standing at the table. For once, I wasn't watching the athletes from the outside. I was experiencing the game from their perspective and, in a small way, walking in their shoes.

The biggest thing I took away from the experience was how much a blindfold could change my perspective. We may be different in so many ways, but once we were all wearing the same blindfold and standing at the same table, those differences felt much smaller. We were all there with the same goal: to do our best in that moment.

Playing alongside the athletes made me realize that connection doesn't always come from having the same experiences or abilities. Sometimes, it comes simply from sharing the same challenge and giving your best together. For me, this tournament was not just my fifth time playing Showdown. It was the first time I truly understood what it meant to experience the sport from the other side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Showdown Volunteer 5/25

Showdown Tournament

The power of flat knot